Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Argument

I have a book that is used for the sole purpose of when you have writer's block. Today I had it.

I know Jackson said something very bloggable about black holes today, but I don't know if you would really get it. I mean, you have to know Jackson. When he gets on something...he stays on it. This black hole talk, it started back before Christmas. He has tossed it around in his little head for that long. (He is soooo much like me. We Cancers, we over-analyze things....just a tad.)

Well, I might as well tell you the story anyway....

We were watching a DVD called Indescribable. It is done by an inspirational speaker named Lou Giglio and what he is basically saying is that the universe is like Earth and Earth is just a subdivision...in the Universe. Does that make sense? He is trying to make you realize how big God is and how small you are in the scheme of things. If you realize how small Earth is, then think about how small you are. It has all these great photos that help to illustrate just how small Earth is. Lou shows various photos taken from the Hubble satellite and some others. There is one they call God's Eye that you would probably recognize if you saw it. There also is a picture of a black hole. Who would have thought that this one word, this one picture would cause such chaos and be the start of so many questions.

You all know, I live with a science wizard. Dylan rattled off something informational about black holes and we all moved on with the movie. Next thing we know, Jackson is crying. He has been thinking and tossing around scenarios of all kinds in his little head.

Jackson: (Big 'ol alligator tears and arms crossed over his chest) Mom?! Will we ever be sucked into a black hole?

Me: (Looking at Wade and asking him with my eyes, "Oh my gosh! Can it really happen? Are we all going to die!!!!) Oh Jackson, no, I mean, it could happen, but we would just live in the black hole on earth, nothing would change really, we just would be in a different ... ...(Wade looks at me like I am a complete idiot and shakes his head and mouths, "that so is NOT what would happen") Nope, it's not true Jackson, that is not going to happen. Don't worry about it, okay. We are NOT going to be sucked into a black hole any time soon.

That seemed to satisfy him for a while.

Then today....when we got home and he looked up at the stars....it brought up a file from his deep thoughts on black holes and opened it right up....

Jackson: Mom, I don't want to get sucked up into a black hole.

Me: Jackson--we are not going to get sucked up into a black hole. Why are you asking that?

He rattled on about something else...for a minute.

We got into the kitchen and everyone was doing their thing... 30 minutes later....

Jackson: Mom, Dylan said that a black hole is made when stars blow up. Is that true?

Me: Jackson, I have no idea how a black hole is made.(Folks, I retained NOTHING from school. Nothing.)

Wade: A black hole is made when a star combusts and collapses on itself.(smarty pants)

I piddle around the kitchen for a while. We talk about the dogs. We talk about money. We talk about what we are going to do tomorrow... 20 minutes later...

Jackson: Mom, will we still have electricity when we get sucked into the black hole?

Me: (Deep breath) No!

We talk some more about the post office, Kroger and Savannah.... 15 minutes later...

Jackson: Mom, will we be able to drive cars when we get sucked into the black hole.

Me: Jackson! If we get sucked into a black hole, we are all going to be dead! You can't live in a black hole. We ARE NOT going to be sucked into a black hole. What is wrong with you?!!!!

He walked away. Satisfied maybe. Or maybe I just scared him a little more. (Mother of the year!!!)

10 minutes later.

Jackson: Mom, will we know each other in Heaven? (Bless his heart, he is going to have a heart attack by the time he is 10 will all this worry)

Me: Yes, Jackson. I think we will.

Jackson: Well, we better go to church on Sunday.

Me: Yep, I am there.

After everyone has said their good nights and I have told them to go to bed at least 1000 times....

Jackson: Mom.

Me: Yes....Jackson.

Jackson: We better get five air tanks for when we go into the black hole....and two for the dogs.

So...what does the title of this blog have to do with Jackson and black holes? Nothing really. I had flipped to a page in my Writer's block book because I thought I had nothing to write about and it said, "Write an argument between two characters that starts in bed". Of course the only thing that I could think of was the ONLY argument that happens in bed and that might not be deemed a suitable topic for some of you. I was going to write it and let you decide if you would like to read it or not.

I have had the book for about two months now...I have never had to use it, for there is never a shortage of topic in our household.

Malia

No comments: